Tohoku Sociology is a major teaching and research centre in Japan. We teach undergraduate BAs and postgraduate MAs and PhDs. We serve students from throughout the world as a center for the advanced study of societal change, social institutions, and social processes. Its programs offer in-depth training in sociological theory and emphasize research methodology, as well as following areas of concentration: City and Space-Time; Nature and the Environment; Social Communication and Media Studies; Critical Theory; Gender and Family; Asian Rural/Urban Area Studies.
We hope you'll be interested in our work, or with working with us. Please contact us by mail or e-mail; or arrange to come and visit us!
If you need to communicate with the staff disclosing contact information, please use the following email, telephone or fax numbers at first.
- TEL & FAX: +81-22-795-6034
- E-mail: sociology＊ml.tohoku.ac.jp （change from＊to@）
Department of Sociology
Graduate School/Faculty of Arts and Letters
Kawauchi 27-1, Aoba ward
- The city of Sendai sits at the shore of the Pacific Ocean, 350 kilometers to the north of Tokyo. It takes about two hours from Tokyo to Sendai by the Tohoku Shinkansen bullet train. By air, Sendai International Airport can be reached directly from several cities in Asia and the Pacific, such as Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Changchun, Dalian, Taipei and Guam.
- The office of Department of Sociology is located in the Kawauchi Campus, Tohoku University (Building No.23, Room No.213). It is located about 2.5 kilometers west of the JR Sendai station along "Aoba Street".
- The office can be reached easily by the public bus system boarded in JR Sendai station bus terminal. "Tohoku University Kawauchi Campus" is the nearest bus stop. Please ride from the bus stop (No. 9) at the Sendai Station Bus Pool (See map).